Sunday, October 19, 2014

Blind Dates: Points of View Essay


Is that her? I think so..

Is that him? God, I hope it's not. 

It must be! She looks just how she was described, no, better.

Why do friends try to set each other up? Maybe I like to be alone. Maybe I want to be alone. Forever. Like I've been so far and probably always will be... I'm not bitter.  

She looks so beautiful! I hope I don't make a mess of this; say the wrong thing, do the wrong thing. I'm sure I won't. I just have to relax. Just relax. Ah, she's coming!

At least he got a good table.  

Here we go. So nervous!

Let's just get this over with already. 

Say hello. Say good evening. Say something! Come on, speak already! "Hi! You're Amy's friend, right? So nice to meet you; you look lovely. My name's Wesley. You can call me Wes."

I most certainly will not.

"And you?"

"Kasey." Is he gonna shake my hand? I think he's gonna- Yup, there it is. Aaaannnddd, jeez his hand is sweaty! 

Her hands are ice cold! But you know what they say; cold hands, warm heart.

Ha, nice manicure you got there!

I bet her's is the kindest of them all!

Pretty sure he hasn't blinked once since I got here. He's not like got some disorder, does he? No, he speaks good and acts, um, I don't know. I don't think Amy would force me to go on a date with a crazy person though.  

What do I say now? What am I supposed to do? Think! Think!

Oh! "Shall we have a seat?"  

"...uhh," Are those rolls I see? "Sure!" 

Ooh, these chairs are pretty comfy too. Okay, I guess I'll stay a little bit. 

Next, what do I do? Well at this point most people usually start a conversation. Hmm, how to start a conversation... "So, Kasey, share with me a little about yourself."

Must I? Personally, I would prefer to sit in silence and eat if it was up to me. But he's gonna keep staring at me if I don't say something. Ugh. "I'm a bartender, but I'm working to be a lawyer, and what else-"

A lawyer wow! She must be super smart!

"-I like to ski, surfing, running, volleyball-"

Sports! Where am I supposed to interject with similarities to her passions if they all required the one thing I cannot do!

"-and music-"

"W-w-wait a minute. You like music? I like music too! What kind of music do you like?

Maybe if I'm brutally honest I can scare him off. I mean, the kid's wearing a sweater vest, I'm sure he's just as prim and proper as the stereotypes say. "I like punk music, heavy-metal, head banging and spiked boots and black hair dye. That stuff." 


What an interesting taste! Very unique, edgy; I'm intrigued. "Fascinating! I prefer jazz music."

"Mmm hmm."

"And the occasional hip-hop."

"I'm sure you do." He's actually picking up on my sarcasm, isn't he?

I need to leave a lasting impression now. Maybe express that I have some cool talent? "I beat-box too-"

Apparently he's not.

"-would you like to hear it?"

In the name of all that is good in this world, no. 

I really hope I can actually do this.

Please don't do this. Please don't do this. Oh my god, you're gonna do this. You're doing this. You're an idiot. 

I think I'm doing good! You go, Wes man! Bringin' the funk! See you got around the whole sports and smarts thing! And look she agreed to come, you must have done something well. I just wish I knew what.

I gotta get out of here. 

I hope this never ends.

Who would've put me with this freak of nature?

Who would pare me with this someone so out of my league?

That's what I will never understand about blind dates.      


No comments:

Post a Comment